Champagne and Sparkling Wine Suggestions For New Year’s Eve
As we approach the New Year it is time to make your New Year’s Eve Champagne and Sparkling Wine purchases. This year we received another great group of options for you to choose from. In this post we will highlight some of our favorites bubble options!
I will break the post into three categories. White bubbles, Rose bubbles and Bargain bubbles.
NV Henriot “Blanc de Blancs” (Champagne, France) $68
This was my favorite Champagne that we covered in our recent Big Blind Tasting. The collective Tasting Panel also enjoyed it a lot, as we awarded it with 92 points. It opens with a fragrant bread dough, light lemon and chamomile bouquet. We found it to be perfectly balanced and creamy. We all really liked the mouth feel. Its flavor profile was a very tasty mineral infused lime with notes of almond and lemon zest. This would be a perfect News Year’s Eve toasting wine. You can also serve this gem with bacon wrapped scallop appetizers.
NV Roederer Estate “Brut” (Anderson Valley, CA) $24
This good value sparkler wine with streaming tiny bubbles performed very well in front of the Tasting Panel. They awarded it 91 points. It opens with a very doughy bouquet with hints of bosc pear and baked apple. On the palate, we found it to be medium bodied, balanced and round with mineral infused bread toast flavors. We also picked up some notes of walnut and caramelized apples and a touch of honey. The finish is dry and shows nice length.
NV Schramsberg “Mirabelle Brut” (CA) $29
There is no better way to kick off your holiday party than with a toast to the family for another great year! I would suggest you consider this affordable 90 point sparkling wine from Schramsberg. This sparkler displays tiny streaming bubbles and opens with a green tea and lemon bouquet with hints of honey. The Panel really liked its toasted almond and green apple flavors with hints of candied lemon and earthy herbs. The finish is dry and refreshing. Try it with a fresh bruschetta appetizer!
NV Henriot “Brut Rose” (Champagne, FR) $75
This pinkish dark coral colored Champagne opens with tons streaming bubbles. Its opens with an attractive Maraschino cherry and bread dough bouquet. On the palate, this wine is medium bodied, slightly acidic and has a nice presence. The flavor profile is a tasty mild mineral infused strawberry and red raspberry blend with a hint of lime. The finish is dry and its flavors linger and last for quite a while. This 93 point “Brut Rose” is very impressive and will be liked by all. Bring it out for a special occasion! Enjoy it with fresh sliced Norwegian salmon.
2015 Schramsberg “Brut Rose” (North Coast, CA) $46
This 91 point coral colored Sparkling Wine from Schramsberg displays plenty of streaming bubbles. It opens with a fragrant doughy bouquet with a hint of red cherry. On the palate, this wine is medium bodied, balanced, gentle and elegant. The flavor profile is a mild mineral infused light red cherry with a hint of golden raisin. The finish is dry and refreshing. This Rose sparkler is food friendly and would pair well with mushroom risotto.
NV Roederer Estate “Brut Rose” (Anderson Valley, CA) $29
This light coral colored Sparkler was well received by our mini-tasting group. We gave it 90 points. It opens with streaming bubbles and a mild strawberry and bread dough bouquet. We found it to be medium bodied, slightly acidic and mouthwatering. It displays tasty mineral infused tangerine flavors with notes of strawberry and lime. I would suggest serving it as your opening wine with shrimp cocktail.
NV Gruet Winery “Brut Rose” (New Mexico) $17
Every once in a while, our Tasting Panel finds a diamond in the rough. This gem, is one of the best deals we have ever found in a Big Blind Tasting. We loved this surprise entry. It is a truly a steal at $17! It opens with an inviting red cherry bouquet with hints of raspberry and rose petals. We found it to be medium bodied, nicely balanced, elegant and smooth. It displays very tasty mild mineral flavors with notes of strawberry and tangerine and a hint of red raspberry. It closes with a dry and delicate finish that fades away nicely. The Panel thought this offering would be a huge crowd pleaser. We awarded it 93 points.
2016 Vino Dei Fratelli “Prosecco Extra Dry” (Veneto, Italy) $18
This last one was discovered by our chief Bubblehead Nicolay. He stated that as far as Proseccos go, this is exactly what most folks are looking for. Soft, inviting, with nice notes of wildflowers, ripe peaches, and hints of lychee. The wine has plenty of apple and apricot flavors that is lifted by the acidity and the smaller bubbles. This 89 point well-crafted Prosecco is well-crafted and would pair well with creamy pasta and oven roasted pork.
To see all the Champagnes and Sparkling Wines that we recommend, please check out to these two links that lead to all our recommendations!
Champagnes and Sparklers under $50
Collectible Champagnes and Sparklers over $50
We hope your New Year’s Eve is a wonderful one. See you next year!
Cheers – Ken
Most Recent 50 Posts
- Winemaker Interview Series – Will Weese – Merriam – April 2023 May 29, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Mike Waller – Calera – March 2023 May 17, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Rebecca George – Brandlin Estates – March 2023 May 1, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Ryan Prichard – Three Sticks – March 2023 April 19, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Adam Lee and Moret Brealynn – Clarice, Beau Marchais & Moret Brealynn – March 2023 April 6, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Peter Heitz from Turnbull – Feb 2023 March 23, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Don Schroeder from Sea Smoke & Aron Weinkauf from Spottswoode – Feb 1, 2023 March 8, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Jake Bilbro of Limerick Lane – Jan 2023 February 21, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Daniel Daou – Jan 2023 February 8, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Robert Foley January 16, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Matt Brain – Alpha Omega Winery January 4, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Riley Flanagan, Assistant Sales Manager for Flanagan Wines and the owner of Riley’s Rows December 16, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Trevor Durling from Beaulieu Vineyard November 28, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Andrew Baldwin from Penfolds Winery November 15, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – McPrice “Mac” Myers from McPrice Myers Winery October 18, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Renée Ary from Duckhorn Vineyards October 5, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Joel Peterson from Once & Future Wines September 20, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Rebekah Wineburg from Quintessa & Post & Vine Wineries September 6, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Phillip Corallo-Titus from Chappellet Winery August 23, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Randy Ullom from Kendall Jackson Winery August 10, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Theresa Heredia from Gary Farrell Wines July 27, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Todd Graff from Frank Family Winery July 8, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Christian Tietje from Anarchy Winery June 25, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Janell Dusi of J. Dusi Winery June 1, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Kristen McMahan of Goldeneye May 3, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Mike Waller of Calera April 19, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Ryan Prichard of Three Sticks March 22, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Jeff Gaffner of Black Kite and Saxon Brown March 9, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Ryan Rech of Beringer February 20, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Daniel Daou of DAOU January 29, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Matt Brain of Alpha Omega January 23, 2022
- Wine Days, Wine Months and Wine Holiday List March 13, 2021
- Ken’s Favorite Red Wines Priced $17-$49 October 10, 2020
- The Taste With Doug Shafer Is My Favorite Wine Podcast August 9, 2020
- Ken On Connoisseur’s Corner With Jordan Rich – Wines For Summer July 6, 2020
- It’s A New World Full Of Virtual Tastings April 30, 2020
- Sparkling Wine Winners From 2019 December 28, 2019
- KWG’s Highest Rated High End Wines For 2019 December 24, 2019
- Platt Vineyard Vertical Tasting September 8, 2019
- Check Out Ken On The Radio August 4, 2019
- Time to Buy Wine Futures: Check Out The 42nd Annual Barrel Tasting Along the Wine Road February 11, 2019
- Champagne and Sparkling Wine Suggestions For New Year’s Eve December 28, 2018
- KWG’s 2018 High End Red Winners! November 23, 2018
- The Practical Party Case – Value Wine Recommendations August 8, 2018
- Rose Winners to Enjoy This Summer May 28, 2018
- Tasting Panel Covers Zinfandel’s Before ZAP Experience January 14, 2018
- Learn the Basics of Wine with Wine 1 2 3 January 4, 2018
- New Year’s Eve Champagne And Sparkling Wine Winners December 28, 2017
- Ken’s Wine Guide Wine Gift Idea’s December 10, 2017
- KWG’s 2017 High End Red Winners! November 20, 2017