There’s something joyful about uncorking a new bottle of wine and pouring the first glass. The satisfaction of taking a sip and instantly knowing you’ve found a winner can seriously warm your heart, which is rather comforting considering the colder weather that’s been approaching. The good news is that with the cold weather comes the perfect excuse for winter comfort food and the opportunity to create some delicious wine pairings. The wineries we’ve selected below offer a wide selection of fuller bodied wines that are perfect for the holiday season.
Andis Wines | Plymouth, CA
In 2010 Andis Winery opened its doors with the intent to produce delicious and balanced wines with character and complexity. Judging by the numerous awards the winery has received in the last five years it’s safe to say that they have accomplished what they set out to do and only continue to improve as time goes on. It’s not just the award winning wine that keeps guests coming back for more though; the winery takes pride in presenting visitors with modern architecture and an innovative take on sustainability. Guests are always impressed by the contemporary design, gracious staff, and commitment to making superior wines.
Mount Aukum Winery | Somerset, CA
At Mount Aukum Winery, they say it’s all about the mountain, and after a visit to the tasting room, you’ll see why. The winery produces its various blends using grapes exclusively grown from mountain vineyards in order to maintain unique and satisfying flavors. Its high elevation on the mountainside offers guests crisp, clean air and stunning panorama views. In addition to the stellar location, the winery is well known for its small batches that are meticulously crafted to be served exclusively at their tasting room in Somerset, CA.
V. Sattui Winery | Napa, CA
Located on 38 acres of organically farmed vineyards, V. Sattui Winery pays meticulous attention to tradition while providing an exceptional experience to guests. Touted as one of the Napa Valley’s favorite places to picnic, two full acres are dedicated to enjoying food, wine, and friends under majestic oaks bordering the estate vineyards. The winery recently celebrated three distinguished awards: Winery of the Year from the Winemaker Challenge (for the fourth year in a row), Winemaker of the Year from the American Fine Wine Competition, and Wine of the Year from the Monterey Wine Competition for the 2012 V. Sattui Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon.
Las Positas Vineyards | Livermore, CA
Las Positas was founded in the year 2006 when Lisa and Lother Mair purchased their first 20 acres. Right away the Mairs decided that they wanted to create the best product that they possibly could, even if that meant starting from scratch. The old vineyard was torn out and the land was cultivated into the perfect environment for high quality grapes to be grown. Due to its great event space, the winery is a popular destination for weddings and other fun activities, and guests are welcome to enjoy a tasting in their beautiful tasting room.
Trione Vineyards | Geyserville, CA
The year 2015 has gone by all too quickly, but for Trione Vineyards it has been a very successful one. It marks their 10th anniversary as winemakers, their 40th anniversary as farmers and managers of some of Sonoma County’s finest premium vineyards, and the 80th anniversary of the tasting room in their stunning Old Stone Winery building. This wine destination is a hot spot for wine tourists eager to enjoy a taste of Sonoma County history and the wines that have earned the Trione name.
Foley Johnson | Napa, CA
At Foley Johnson each new season brings with it a new selection of wine, and wine lovers with discerning palates make a point to visit the recently remodeled tasting room each time they visit the Napa Valley. The winery uses only the finest selection of grapes from estate vineyards and has a variety of different tasting and touring options to partake in. No matter the tasting experience, guests at Foley Johnson are quick to appreciate the wines’ distinctive terroir, with the balanced fruit and gentle tannins for which the Napa Valley is known.
Maryhill Winery | Goldendale, WA
Maryhill Winery is the answer to an entrepreneurial dream shared by Owners Craig and Vicki Leuthold who saw great potential for a winery in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Since its founding in 2001, family-owned Maryhill Winery has won more than 2,500 awards. Depending on the weather, guests can be found snuggling around crackling fire pits on the terrace, standing at the tasting room’s original Brunswick Bar, or playing bocce on the tournament-quality Bocce courts.
Stags’ Leap Winery | Napa, CA
The majesty of Stag’s Leap Winery astonishes many of its first time visitors with its vast 240 acre presence and legendary reputation for elegant wines that express unique terroir. Winemaker and General Manager Christophe Paubert applies the winemaking philosophy he learned in his native France, (to showcase the fruit and not the winemaker’s hand,) but he also applies a technical understanding of the process. “I believe that wine should express the uniqueness of the land,” Christophe says, “and Stags’ Leap wines have always showcased one of the most distinctive regions in the Napa Valley.”
Artesa Vineyards and Winery | Napa, CA
The legacy began in 1951 when the Raventos family made history by creating the first ever methode champenoise sparkling wine outside of France. Today, the excitement continues in the Napa Valley where Artesa Winery rests on a beautiful hilltop speckled with breathtaking fountains and unique architecture that weaves throughout the hillside. Visitors of the winery will find that the bar is definitely raised at Artesa when it comes to wine tasting. Guests can enjoy their tasting menus at the artistic Main Salon, Barrel Room, courtyard, reflecting pool, or the scenic Vista Terrace.
Tamber Bey Vineyards | Napa, CA
It’s at Tamber Bey that wine country and horse country unite. The ranch is home to champion performance quarter horses and Arabians that graze in the white-fenced paddocks that line the lane. The wine company was founded by former high-tech executive and equestrian Barry Waitte, who named it after his first two Arabian horses, Tamborina and Bayamo. Guests can enjoy a tasting at the sleek tasting bar or wander outside to admire the courtyard surrounded by 16 impeccable horse stalls framed by fabulous views of Mount St. Helena and the Palisades.
The following article was provided by our contributing partner – Touring and Tasting Magazine.
Cheers – Ken
Most Recent 20 Posts
- Winemaker Interview Series – Peter Heitz from Turnbull – Feb 2023 March 23, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Don Schroeder from Sea Smoke & Aron Weinkauf from Spottswoode – Feb 1, 2023 March 8, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Jake Bilbro of Limerick Lane – Jan 2023 February 21, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Daniel Daou – Jan 2023 February 8, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Robert Foley January 16, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Matt Brain – Alpha Omega Winery January 4, 2023
- Winemaker Interview Series – Riley Flanagan, Assistant Sales Manager for Flanagan Wines and the owner of Riley’s Rows December 16, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Trevor Durling from Beaulieu Vineyard November 28, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Andrew Baldwin from Penfolds Winery November 15, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – McPrice “Mac” Myers from McPrice Myers Winery October 18, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Renée Ary from Duckhorn Vineyards October 5, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Joel Peterson from Once & Future Wines September 20, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Rebekah Wineburg from Quintessa & Post & Vine Wineries September 6, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Phillip Corallo-Titus from Chappellet Winery August 23, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Randy Ullom from Kendall Jackson Winery August 10, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Theresa Heredia from Gary Farrell Wines July 27, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Todd Graff from Frank Family Winery July 8, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Christian Tietje from Anarchy Winery June 25, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Janell Dusi of J. Dusi Winery June 1, 2022
- Winemaker Interview Series – Kristen McMahan of Goldeneye May 3, 2022